- MATCH RECAP: COMETS DEFEAT WICHITA 13-3 AND REMAIN UNDEFEATED
- Match Preview: Comets host the Wichita B-52s
- Match Recap: Comets come back and defeat the Milwaukee Wave 9-7 in Home Opener
- Match Preview: The Comets host the Milwaukee Wave in Home Opener
- COMETS SIGN PATRICK KELLY AND KIEL WILLIAMS, BRENDAN ALLEN RE-SIGNS
- Recap: Comets win second straight MASL match with 12-6 victory over reigning PASL Champions Chicago Mustangs.
- SOSA GIVES BACK TO ‘THE FUTURE OF SOCCER IN KANSAS CITY’
- Match Preview: Comets and Mustangs meet in a ‘Clash of Champions’
- HEAD COACH VLATKO ANDONOVSKI RE-SIGNS WITH THE COMETS
- COMETS KICK OFF THE 2014/15 MASL SEASON WITH A 13-4 VICTORY
COMETS READY FOR CLASSIC MATCHUP
- Updated: January 23, 2014
Annual Retro Game Could Clinch I-70 Series For Missouri
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri (January 23, 2013) – The Missouri Comets are set to face the St. Louis Ambush on Friday, January 24th at 7:35p.m. CT. This match is the Comets 4th Annual Retro Game, sponsored by FreeStyle Graphics. The team will be wearing jerseys inspired by the 1985 Kansas City Comets. Halftime will also feature an exhibition match between Comets and Kansas City Attack alumni, including Ryan Junge, Jim Schwab, Chris Damico, Kim Roentved and many more.
This will be the fourth matchup in the season series between the Comets and Ambush. Missouri has won all three previous games by a combined 60-30 score. The Ambush were able to take the Comets to overtime on November 29th, but Stefan St. Louis closed out the victory for Missouri less than three minutes into the extra period. These two teams are playing for the I-70 Series trophy, sponsored by Independence Tourism. A win on Friday would clinch the trophy and the season series for the Comets.
The Comets have relied on their powerful offense all season. Currently they lead the league in scoring with 198 points, averaging 15.23 per game. Captain Vahid Assadpour leads all scorers with 17 goals and 51 points, despite playing through illness in his last two matches. Leo Gibson is in second place with 44 points, while four other Comets also find themselves among the league’s top 25 scorers.
While the Comets are known for their scoring prowess, the team will have to step up defensively against St. Louis’ aggressive attack. Forward Kory Dowell shares the league lead for three-point goals with five. Former Baker University standout, Odaine Sinclair, leads the Ambush in scoring with ten goals, with half of those coming against the Comets.
The soccer action does not stop when the Comets and Ambush take their halftime break. Many former Comets and Attack players will play an exhibition at halftime, including legends Jeff Davis, Alan Mayer, Warren Westcoat and more.
Following the match, fans will be able to take home a game-worn jersey from their favorite current Comets player in a LIVE auction. After the auction, current and former players will be signing autographs on the field.
Kickoff for tomorrow night’s match is scheduled for 7:35p.m. CT at the Independence Events Center. For tickets and information, call 855.4KC.GOAL.
|Team Blue||Team White|
|Kim Roentved||Jim Schwab|
|Doug Mclagan||Alan Mayer|
|Chris Hundelt||Ryan Junge|
|Carlos Olivas||Chris Damico|
|Efrem Shimlis||Warren Westcoat|
|Jeff Davis||Matt Iverson|
|Bob Bozada||Shane Steadman|
|Jason Puthoff||Robert Puthoff|